Friday, 15 June 2012

Dave Graffam Models 6 - Clock Tower

So another DGM, this time it's the Clock Tower.  As with all the other DGMs I've posted on (see this page for links to the posts: Buildings), the layers technology in the pdf files from DGM gives a whole world of variations for this building.

Note: I use Foxit as my pdf viewer of choice, but I've had problems when attempting to print layers with it, so use Adobe Reader to print DGM files)

Once more the hurtful critic valued interior designer Van Fampi is appearing in the photos to give a sense of scale and add his own comments.  I went for the 'red brick' option on the outside of the tower, and this time, have cut out both the single door and the windows that I chose to put on the tower (with the layers you can have different windows and doors in different positions). Also, I printed the clock itself a couple of times and mounted it on a piece of board to give it a 3D appearance, but I'm not sure how well it comes across in the pic:
"Wow! An openi door - at bl**dy last!"
As you can see, I put a ruler in the pic to show the height of the tower.

I also 'bashed' the build a bit. As you will be aware if you've read the other DGM posts I've done, you will know that the DGM models have no interior detail supplied with them. However, for 2 reasons, I added some at the top of the tower:

  1. It made such a perfect sniper/lookout spot I felt I had to
  2. Van Fampi threatened me with physical violence ...
So you see I had to. Anyway, this next pic shows what I added. I put in a floor with a trapdoor and papered the walls with interior detail from Worldworks Games' Mayhem Apartment set: The pic also shows - just how I did the clock:

I do like this build, but I'm really not sure how I will use it. As it is, it is quite top-heavy (especially with a figure in that room!), which means the slightest touch of an arm during a game will send it over. The model does come with a small 'foot print' - which would definitely help - but I have not attached it yet, as it would prevent placing the tower next to a building - something I'm considering.

Anyway, I'll post again on the tower if I have a brainwave and devise a solution!

14 comments:

  1. That's a nice looking tower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint; I'm sure that you could do a lot better though! I'm still sore that I didn't get to see your Afghan boards at Broadside :(

      Delete
  2. Perhaps somewhere to rescue a surivor or to get a better radio signal as part of a mission. Nice building and like the 3D clock it does stand out as intended. The interior is great as well. Nice work Colin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dr B! perhaps a mad scientist inventor of the zombie plague could be hung from it as well? naming no names of course ... ;)

      Delete
  3. I like it, Colin. Of course snipers and clock towers go together like fish and chips.

    That Van Fampi is such a bully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VtG! I thought that, but the sequence at the end of Saving Private Ryan has made me think they're a bit obvious? ...

      Yes, I shall have to take steps regarding that VF ... it may be time to get another consultant in ...

      Delete
  4. Very nice looking tower. Perfect sniper post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. The sniper's nest is the perfect addition. I can see the way you layered the clock face very clearly. It came out very nicely and adds a nice 3d element. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LJ! Just been looking at your Stoetzel builds - I have a long way to go to catch up to your standards :(

      The Stoetzel 'Federal House' and 'Cabin in the Woods' should be appearing here soon (and The Hospital some time after that!)

      Delete
  6. Good looking build, love the 3d clock face effect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A weight at the bottom would help stop the tower falling over, though I appreciate it might be a bit late, now the tower is assembled. Coins or spare lead weights might work, depending on how much space you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey bruv, nice of you to stop by! Good idea - I'll see what I can get into the bottom of the tower, and probably put a bit of a scenic base to it as well

      Delete