Wednesday, 22 August 2012

Convoy Project Progress 1


Propaganda poster from Wikipedia
Despite - since Clint (from Anything But a One) reminded me of the existence of LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online) - spending every waking hour I'm not at work playing LOTRO, I have managed to make progress on my new toy ships in my lunch hours at work (well sitting in my car actually!).

Having undercoated them all, I decided to stick them on bases before painting as, because they are soooo damn small, they are quite fiddly little buggers to hold. My first impulse was to get something from warbases.co.uk, my normal supplier of choice, but couldn't decide what size I should get.

So I decided to use the 2mm thick cardboard that I used to make my buildings, before Stoelzel's Structures converted me to the 'Way of Foam'. I still use the card for roofs, etc, so had a bunch of it to hand, but had a brainwave and I've been using up my stock of offcuts that I've bben keeping 'in case they come in handy' - a hoarding trait that I've inherited from my father ...

Anyway, I decided to measure the length of the ship and add 13mm to that for the length (with a minimum of 30mm) and to the widest part of the ship, I've added 6mm for the base's width (with a minimum of 10mm). The 13mm added to the length is so that I can put the prow of the ship 3mm back so I can paint a bow-wave and there is a 10mm gap at the back for the ship's identifying flag. The 6mm added to the width allows 3mm on each side for waves/wash.

Here is a pic of some of the undercoated ships on their bases, which I've coloured in (before gluing the ships on!) with a permanent marker. (I used a permanent marker as the ink doesn't run when it gets wet, as it will when I paint the ship (probably!) and the base (definitely!))

You can see in the pic above that there are some flags with the ships. I'm sticking these to the ends of the bases to give a quick visual clue to the ship's identity. Also, when I cut them out, I leave a this strip of white paper at the bottom of the flag which gets wrapped around the base's thickness when I fix the flag to the base (with sellotape). The pic below shows some that I've done:

I have a bunch of merchant ships - not surprising for a convoy game ... - which I want to name. I don't really want to use real ships' names and have decided to use humourous/satirical names based on national stereotypes to inject a bit of fun into the game. Anyway, here's the list I have so far:

    British Merchant Navy:  SS British Upper Lip, SS British Humour and SS British Superiority* - all from the British Tanker Company - SS Bowler Hat, SS Rolled Umbrella, SS Pinstripe Suit, SS Welsh Choir, SS Glasgow Salad, SS Insular Cornishmen, SS Scouse Pride
    French Merchant Vessels: SS Gallic Shrug, SS French Arrogance**
    Other Allied Nations: SS Norwegian Blonde, SS Belgian Chocolate, SS Polish Plumber
    British Empire Ships: SS South African Charm, SS Australian Subtlety, SS Canadian Dullness, SS Maltese Falcon
    Chartered US Ships under British flag: SS American Modesty, SS American Exuberance
    * - sank early June 1940
    ** - sank 22nd June 1940

    Please note that these names are meant to be fun and not offensive!

    The idea for the ship names came after reading about the exploits of Commodore IAM Strangely-Smoothe, RNR in one of Tony Morphet's Convoy batreps, so blame him! ;)

    .

    3 comments:

    1. You make me sound like some MMO drug dealer!

      ReplyDelete
    2. LMAO I was going to join you but with my increase in hobby activity lately didn't want to start a new addiction. Great idea with the offcuts they look great so far.

      ReplyDelete
    3. What? Where's the S.S. Perfidious Albion, the S.S. British Bulldog and the S.S John Bull?

      ReplyDelete