Monday, 13 August 2012

New Toys - 1/3000 ships #1 Mick Yarrow Minis

My new toys for my latest fad - WW2 Convoys - have started arriving. I had a bit of a quandary to begin with -  trying to decide which scale to use - 1/3000th or 1/6000th? I used 1/6000th for my modern naval (with the superb Shipwreck rules from Vandering Publications); the detail is fantastic on them, but they are soooo tiny:

So I thought I'd go for 1/3000th this time. My first toys came from Mick Yarrow Miniatures. Although the site looks (to me anyway!) abandoned, Mick is producing the mini's and provides a very quick service - I ordered the following on a Thursday and and they arrived on the Saturday. As Mick's site is short on pics, I thought I'd post pics of the packs I got here (in the pics the label is 63mm across to give you an idea of their size):













Compared to Navwar and Skytrex, Mick's miniatures are very cheap and very nice castings - the exception being 3238 Royal Sovereign BB class Norway 1940 which was quite a messy casting :(  However, Mick very kindly put in the SS Eridan as a freebie, so I am more than satisfied with my toys and will certainly buy from Mick again!

Next time I'll post pics of my Navwar toys

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the photos and the info - I have never heard of Mick Yarrow minis, so this is new for me.

    I have the Victory at Sea rules that I do my WW2 naval with, so I might be able to add to my fleet this way.

    Glad to see you have the "Royal Sovereign"; my Grandfather served on this ship during WW1, so it is a favorite of mine :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to help SD. Navwar and Skyrex coming soon

      Delete
  2. Very nice looking mini's. I quite like the look of a lot of these naval games not sure what period I would do or if it would be more fantasy orientated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The current fantasy naval game of choice is Uncharted Seas by Spartan Games, for which I have some ships. I'll get around to a post on them some day!

      Delete