Thursday, 23 May 2013

Only one - but it's a biggie!

I finished the Clearco ladies last night, but the photos I took this morning have not come out well at all :(

Therefore I'm going to try again tonight - hopefully with better results!

I also finished Talos and that photo came out better and has a Clearco lady in for comparison. I'm very pleased with how he's come out, but the magic dip I used has given a very glossy finish - I don't think it did this last time I used it .... perhaps I didn't shake it enough ...



In other news:
  • I fished out my VSF minis last night and started painting them - really getting into this painting lark again now ...
  • I had a quick guestimate at how many IHMN companies I could make and I got to about 6 without even trying! more details on that after I've finished my Clearco series - and read the rules of course!

10 comments:

  1. That's a big arse sword the Talos has.

    And I am glad you are getting the painting bug again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hell yes Clint - the blade is longer than the Clearco lady is tall!!

      Me too! I enjoyed the painting I did last night; I really need to get my lighting sorted though ...

      Delete
  2. Indeed, that Talos looks really scary! Although I never really understood why he needs the helmet, since no mortal can reach that high :-) . I suppose it protects against missiles...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon it's cos he's butt ugly underneath it ... but you could well be right Hugh!

      Delete
  3. Yeah Talos looks good man, he is one big bastard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TE - I really didn't want to do him entirely one colour - i.e. bronze - and I think the multiple metal shades (bronze, copper and silver) have worked out ok

      Delete
  4. Corinthian helmet is the single coolest part of greek military culture - everyone needs one! :P

    As for the gloss, mat varnish should solve your problem :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely! Yup, I'm not worried about the high gloss, just a bit peeved. I looked back on the blog at my previous magic dip efforts and these are more glossy. I did shake the tin, just not enough it seems ...

      Delete
  5. Talos looks great, but I've missed out somewhere along the road as to what you're using him for.
    The Clearco lady(ahem) is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. Talos will be a baddie for my 40mm greeks to fight when they're painted; until then, he'll be a shelf ornament as he's too tall to fit in my figure trays!

      Delete