Friday, 12 August 2016

Data Cards Finished & a Building Problem ...

Last night I managed to finish making all the data cards for my 16 Iron Stars ships - 8 Austro-Hungarian and 8 Russian.  I  printed the fronts and backs onto normal printer paper, used a glue stick to attach them to cereal box card and then covered with self-adhesive book covering plastic.

Hopefully they'll be a) tough enough to withstand gaming with & b) be suitable for use with whiteboard markers for a game when Jim's returned from his holidays.

All I have left to do to be ready for that game now is to put another coat of varnish on the ships as I've used army painter strong tone on them (its gloss effect needs toning down a bit) and the name labels for the ships' bases. I'd previously done 'normal' black text on a white background labels, but I think that will be a bit garish on black bases which are then on a black cloth, so I'm going to try white text on a black background and see how that looks.


The problem in the post title refers to the building mentioned in this post that I add a rendering effect to. As you can see from the composite pic to the left, I didn't do anything to disguise the tabs used to put together the buildings at the corners, so they can clearly be seen despite my 'render'. At the moment I'm unsure what to do about this ...  I'm deciding between a) adding more render to hide it -or- b) scraping the render off the offending parts, using polyfilla to fill the dips and then adding render onto the filler ...

I think I can safely say, though, that this is definitely in the category of 'first world problems' ...  :)

6 comments:

  1. If It was me I would Polyfilla or similar. then render over the top to hid any unevenness. But your render seems coarse so maybe dilute it a little first.

    It really is try and see what works. You may need to experiment to find the right solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a good idea I shold have thought of - I'll just fill the recess as is! Thanks CLint

      Delete
  2. That's the main bane of all mdf buildings imo. Personally I think I'd add quoins (preferably before the render - but that's a tad late to do now).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Joe - the tabs always seem to be not quite long enough and leave that annoying recess :( Quoins is another good idea - wish I'd thought of it before I put the building together! I'll keep it in mind - Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Yeah its the problem with mdf. Can only think of refilling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup - filling the recess is the way to go

      Delete